Here, you want to read more about the different types of Load Balancing.
Please note that Load Balancing is only available for those who have a charge point operator agreement with Monta with a Pro, Business or Enterprise plan. Here, you can learn more on how to upgrade your plan with Monta.
2. Things to consider for a Load Balancing setup
Here are different factors you need to consider before you create a Load Balancing Group in Monta Portal:
External meter attached to the setup
- Is there an external meter attached to the charge point setup?
- What is the brand of this meter?
- Does it measure the building current usage alone or together with the charge points?
- How is data of the current usage sent to Monta?
- Meter is directly sending data to Monta - The meter can send information directly to Monta. Currently, there is only one meter (Enegic) that will work on any charge point that supports load balancing.
- Data is sent to Monta via the charge point - With this setup, the information is sent via the charge point where the meter is sending measurement data to the charge point via Modbus. This currently applied only to the brand ABB.
Power distribution on the site
- Are all charge points connected to 1 fuse or multiple fuses?
Charge point wiring
- What is the order of the phases in the charge point wiring?
- Is there a charge point that you would like to prioritize to receive more current? That could be a charge point that is used more than others on the charge point site. Example: A charge point close to the entrance of the charge point site.
3. Locally managed Load Balancing setups
Some charge point brands and models have their own setup for Load Balancing. This means that the current is managed locally, on their own system and the information is not communicated to Monta. This means that you cannot use Monta's Load Balancing system on such sites.
The only locally managed Load Balancing setup that can currently be connected to Monta is Easee charge points, using an Enegic external meter. You can read more how you can set this up here.
Some Local Load Balancing setups allow you to operate the charge points from Monta, while the Load Balancing is operating on the native charge point system. The charge point brands that can have this setup are:
- Charge Amps
4. Requesting Load Balancing support for a new charge point brand
If you would like to use Load Balancing for your charge point site, but you use different charge points than the ones included in the table above, please reach out to us, so we can evaluate if we can start supporting your setup.
When you reach out to us, please include the following information:
Brand and model of the charge point
Brand and model of the external meter (if relevant)
Any details of the site, that are relevant to the setup